When it comes to eloping in Big Sur (and as a photographer specializing in Big Sur elopements,) there are a few little tips I would love to share for any brides picking out their dress and offer up a few thoughts that might help along the way when selecting the perfect Big Sur elopement gown...
TOP 5 TIPS WHEN SHOPPING FOR YOUR
BIG SUR ELOPEMENT DRESS
- Your dress is gonna get dirty, so make sure you are 100% ok with this happening! It is inevitable and I promise, it adds to the romance of it all… But. You really need to commit to the idea, so that you aren’t stressing about it all day!
- More light-weighted skirt fabric = More magic for the wind to play with! Big Sur is full of stunning cliffs, beaches, and redwoods... Many of these locations are as windy and romantic as the moors in a Brönte novel. To capture some of that intangible romance, a fuller skirt can definitely help! I'm not saying nix the form-fitting dress entirely, you can still have one that is cut close, as long as it has a slit for movement. Annnd... This brings me to my next point!
- Make sure you can move in your dress and gather up the skirt easily! As you are hiking around, there will be times where you will need to gather the skirt of your dress to scurry over rocks, foliage, fallen trees, sand, and more. So, make sure you have room to move, to hike, to run, to gather as you ford a river... If it were to get a little wet in the waves, will it weigh you down so much, you can’t move? All little thoughts to keep in mind when hunting for your dress…
- Have it be long enough that it covers the hiking boots, sandals, or tennis shoes you will inevitably be wearing! No one wants to wander around the wilds of Big Sur in heels, and while they might look amazing for a few staged photos, you're gonna need to wear and bring shoes that allow you to traverse all sorts of terrain.
- Be certain that your dress can withstand the extreme weather than can pop up along the Big Sur coastline... If your strapless gown keeps wanting to slip off your bust, it might not be any match for the intense winds that can sometimes pop up out of nowhere! So, be sure your dress is both comfortable and fitted well to your body, if it isn't as sturdy in construction!
Now! Here are some dresses that I think would photograph beautifully along the Big Sur terrain.
SOME TOTALLY PERFECT DRESSES TO WEAR FOR YOUR BIG SUR ELOPEMENT
The thought of these tassels and sleeves catching the wind, is positively swoon-worthy... If you have a more boho vibe, this Rue de Seine dress could be your favorite!
This gown by Watters is so dreamy and casts a nod to the ancient Greek goddesses and the stars they inhabit. The full skirt and sequin detail, would pop so beautifully amongst the redwoods of Big Sur! It feels like something Venus herself would wear to her wedding.
Looking for something more romantic and organic in feel? Look at this beauty! The floral appliqué would pair to perfectly with the wildflowers that bloom along the Big Sur meadows...
Are you a bit bold and untraditional? Have you considered a gown like this stunning creation from Leanne Marshall??? Thinking about that skirt fluttering at the edge of a cliff just gives me goosebumps!
If you are in the market for something a bit more traditional and classically elegant, with a sensual edge... This enchanting gown, again from Leanne Marshall, would be so perfect for images along one of the famous Big Sur beaches...
THE NUMBER ONE TIP TO REMEMBER, TO MATTER WHAT!
No matter what... THE most important thing to remember when picking out your elopement dress is that it needs to be comfortable make you feel like the badass bride you are! That is first and foremost the biggest tip I (as a Big Sur elopement photographer), can offer you! At the end of the day, it won’t matter if your dress adheres to these rules, if you don’t LOVE it!